n this article, I’ll provide my review of the Yakima FrontLoader. The FrontLoader is an excellent choice for cars with a low roof height. Using the FrontLoader you can mount a bike to the top of your vehicle. You can add the Yakima FrontLoader to rectangular, circular, or factory crossbars.
Yakima FrontLoader Review
4.5 / 5 Stars
- Easy to install
- No need to remove your front wheel
- Handles all axles (quick release and thru axles)
- Very stable
- Not the easiest to load a bike (this is just a general roof rack problem)
- Not compatible with fat bikes
- Locks do not come standard (You have to purchase SKS locks)
Where to Buy?
FrontLoader + My Subaru
I recently got into biking and needed a way to get my bikes on my car. I had a unique scenario where I had a quick-release axle but my girlfriend’s bike had a thru axle. I also did not want to invest in new crossbars since I eventually will have a hitch-based system.
I needed a bike rack that could:
- Handle quick release and thru axles without additional hardware
- Fit my factory Subaru crossbars
- Handle long drives to Tahoe, San Diego, and Los Angeles
While a hitch based rack system is the ideal choice for most bikers, I currently don’t have a hitch yet. It is on my to do list!