I’m Oscar Barillas!
During the week, I lead our dashboard and the pre-processing team at Finix. Previously, I founded the Support Engineering team at Finix. On weekends can you catch me exploring California ☀️.
I’ll share many of my experiences in my newsletter. I love to write about technology, food, payments, and the outdoors.
Sign up to receive my newsletter below.
- The little Embraer airplane that couldA little Embraer airplane has been a consistent friend as I travel between Northern and Southern California. I fly from San Francisco International Airport (SFO) to San Diego (SAN) and LAX (LAX) regularly. I’ve been flying back and forth for about 10 years. It’s a short flight, and most of the time, it’s been on… Read More »The little Embraer airplane that could
- Sunday Read No. 2I’m continuing a Sunday Read series. I hope you enjoy this new format. Pride Month Happy LGBTQ+ Pride month to everyone! San Francisco’s pride parade and celebration kicked off today for the first time in two years. I wasn’t able to attend the parade but was able to attend the celebration in Civic Center. It… Read More »Sunday Read No. 2
- Adding a bus lane to the Bay Bridge? Why it’s neededAdding a Bus Lane on the Bay Bridge would be an easy way to alleviate congestion on the Bay Bridge. Bus lanes are one of the fastest ways to travel within a city without metro systems. To be clear, I’m a big prominent of underground metro systems and trains. However, metro systems can take years and… Read More »Adding a bus lane to the Bay Bridge? Why it’s needed
- Why I don’t use Substack or Medium to publish my writingI don’t use Substack or Medium to publish my writing. This website uses a self-hosted version of WordPress. After a few friends recently asked me, I decided to write this article to explain why. Benefits of writing on my self-hosted site A long time ago (before Substack launched), I decided that writing on my own… Read More »Why I don’t use Substack or Medium to publish my writing
- Cap table diversity: What is it? Why does it matter?Cap table diversity isn’t discussed as the top way to improve diversity in tech, but it should be. A capitalization table, also known as a cap table, is the table of percentage ownership inside a company. Cap tables are essential for founders, employees, and investors. Much of the wealth created in Silicon Valley has been created… Read More »Cap table diversity: What is it? Why does it matter?
- La Guerrera’s Kitchen | A Taste of GuerreroOver the weekend, I got brunch at La Guerrera’s Kitchen in Oakland with Vero. We were missing our family and were craving some home-cooked Latino food right after our sauna. The food here filled that void; it felt like we were eating food cooked by our mom and abuelita. I remembered La Guerrera’s Kitchen from… Read More »La Guerrera’s Kitchen | A Taste of Guerrero
- British vibes and American food at Wayfare Tavern, FiDiA few of my friends and I went to get brunch at Wayfare Tavern located in FiDi SF. I’ve never commuted before to get brunch in FiDi so I was a bit thrown off about visiting this place for brunch. After hanging out and eating here I can definitely say Wayfare Tavern is worth the… Read More »British vibes and American food at Wayfare Tavern, FiDi